Why Honasan feels bittersweet at his proclamation


By on 11:57 PM

For newly-proclaimed Senator Gregorio “Gringo” Honasan, this could be his last six years as senator.

This explains why the former military general’s proclamation as senator at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay on Saturday came as a bittersweet event for him and his family.

“Before I ride into the sunset, I think I have six years left. This is my last consecutive six-year term,” Honasan said, hinting of taking a break and possibly, retirement from politics.

Honasan, who bumped off former Senator Richard “Dick” Gordon in the 12th and last spot in the Magic 12, promised to leave the election fever behind and start working.

“We’ve been very cohesive. We’re also friends and I think we will move forward and respond to public interest wherever we are,” Honasan said.

“I have talked to some of his people and he’s okay. In fact, the other members of our senatorial line-up are all okay,” he added.


Honasan said he will immediately re-file Freedom of Information (FoI) bill I the senate as well as other legislation that would push for the welfare of teachers, soldiers, policemen, farmers, fisherfolk, local government officials.