How Richard asked for Maricar's hand in marriage


By on 3:41 PM

A week after getting married, celebrity couple Maricar Reyes and Richard Poon recalled the moment when the singer met her parents.

In an exclusive interview with “The Buzz” host Boy Abunda aired on Sunday, Poon shared what he had to go through back in 2012 when he told Reyes’ father about his real intentions with the actress.

“We were having dinner and then tamang tama nag-CR ang mommy niya tapos sumama si Maricar. I was scared. Sabi ko, ‘Tito, gusto ko lang po sabihin na I want to ask your permission na ligawan si Maricar for marriage na ang intention ko po,’” he said.

Anticipating Reyes’ father to be very protective of his daughter given what had happened in the past, Poon admitted he was surprised when the actress’ dad took his words well.

“I’ve heard that he would be very protective of Maricar of what happened. I want to assure him na Tito I’m not playing around. I’m not going to play around with your daughter. He was very cool. Super cool 'yung dad niya. Sabi niya, ‘Oh really? Okay.’ He took it well. Parang alam na niya eh,” he said.

Reyes’ mother, for her part, was also overjoyed with the news.

“My mom, she’s this jolly person so she’s so happy. I think every parent would want their kids to end up happy with someone they love. He’s a very welcome addition to the family,” said Reyes.

Poon and Reyes first met in 2009 after Poon’s manager cast the actress to be part of the singer’s music video.

Poon said it was Reyes’ “quiet grace under pressure” that really struck him the first time they met.
The two then had constant communication but didn’t become steady right away. Poon said he had to "soul-search" because he wanted his next girlfriend to be his wife.

After a year of restraining himself, he finally became sure that Reyes was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

They got into a relationship three years after they first met. The actress said Poon asked for her hand in marriage only a month after they officially became a couple in 2012.

Asked what’s the best thing about Poon that she treasures, Reyes said: "He is the most unique gift I’ve ever seen in my entire life. He really gets into your heart and he sees you for who you are. And he helps you fix your problem. He goes to the positive and how to overcome it.”

As for Poon, he said: “I can be confrontational. I just have to be honest, I don’t really respond well kapag nagdi-disagree sa akin. I’m still learning to be more graceful. And she has that peaceful strength.”

“Very respectful. Lagi niyang ina-affirm sa akin na ‘Honey may point ka, pero baka hindi mo nakikita na may iba pang point diyan,’” he added.