Vilma says Luis not yet ready for politics


By on 6:08 AM

MANILA -- Despite throwing her full support behind her son's rumored political plans, Batangas governor Vilma Santos-Recto believes that Luis Manzano is far from being ready for public office. In an interview on ABS-CBN's "Tapatan Ni Tunying" to be aired on Thursday, the award-winning actress admitted that her son will need to study first before making entering politics.

Batangas Governor Vilma Santos-Recto.
"I don’t think he’s ready. But if he decides to run for a position, I will send him to school first just like how Sen. Ralph Recto told me to do," she said.
Manzano earlier expressed his plans to follow in his mother's footsteps, but stressed that it shouldn't be a mere "escape" plan from show business.

He also explained that it would be "unfair" to his potential constituents if he just decided to become a public servant on a whim.

Meanwhile, Santos also hinted on a possible retirement from politics in 2016, citing that she has already accomplished more than enough as the current governor of Batangas and former mayor of Lipa City.

"I want to have time for myself too. I’m not getting any younger," she said. "The mere fact that the people of Batangas, known as 'barakos,' trust a woman, that they believe in me and follow my orders — that’s priceless."